- Submitted by Dahlia on 3rd Dec 2007
(Fish Eggs Fry, Fish Roe Fry, Fried Fish Eggs)
Fish eggs or roe is the lump of tiny eggs of any fish varieties. It is used in many different preparations in India and abroad. In Kerala it is a delicacy and is made into thoran (stir-fry with coconut) and varuthathu (fry). Fish roe is a very good source of omega-3 fatty acids. I never miss a chance to buy fish eggs if I see it in my local fish market. In India usually fish eggs of sardines, rohu, mackeral or king fish can be found.
When we were staying in Georgia (US), we used to buy fish from a local fish shop. They often had fresh harvested mullet fish and very often the yellow roe is sold. I never missed a chance to buy it. I used to prepare in the same way we always prepared fish eggs in India. Its a shallow fry called 'Meen Mutta Ularthiyathu' or 'Meen Muttai Varuthathu'. I have attached an image of fry made with mullet roe at the bottom. The other images are fish egg fry made with king fish eggs. If you come across fish eggs any time, do buy it and give this recipe a try. Its a great dish that can be served with rice, chapati or even bread.
Recipe For Fish Egg Fry
- Fish Roe / Fish Eggs - 1/2 lb (about 250 gms)
- Onion - 1 (finely chopped) or shallots - 6
- Ginger garlic paste - 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves - few
- Chilly Powder - 1 tsp
- Pepper powder - 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - a pinch
- Lemon - few drops
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Parsley / Cilantro - for garnishing
- Wash the fish roe carefully in water. You can leave the roe whole or cut into small pieces. I like it either way. Marinate the roe for half an hour with ginger garlic paste, chilly powder, pepper powder, turmeric powder and salt.
- Heat the oil in a non stick pan. Add the onions and curry leaves and saute for a minute. Adding onions is optional and is purely based on individual choice. I sometimes like to add it while other time, i just fry the roe alone. Both tastes delicious. When you add onions, you get some extra masala which you can enjoy with rice or bread.
- Push the onions to the sides of the pan and add the marinated roe. Let the roe roast undisturbed for 2-3 minutes for chopped roe. If you have left the roe whole as shown in the picture, you may need to cook for about 6 or 7 minutes.
- Gently flip the roe and fry for another few minutes till it get well cooked and browned.
- Mix the onions and the roe together and reduce the flame. Let it hang on for another 2 minutes till all the flavors blend together. The roe should get dry and a brown color.
- Add few drops of lemon juice on top and garnish with chopped parsley / cilantro.
Serving Fish Egg Fry
- This goes very well with white rice and curry, curd rice, biryani, sambar rice or chapatti.
- I also love to stuff it between bread and enjoy it as sandwiches.
More Sea Food Recipes