- Submitted by Dahlia on 9th Jan 2008
(Mushroom Pepper Masala Dry, Pepper Mushroom Fry, Kalan Masala, Koonu Masala, Khumb Masala, Guchhi Masala)
Pepper mushroom masala is a very tasty, spicy vegetarian side dish made with button mushroom. Its a very popular dish in restaurants in India. I love the flavor of mushroom when combined with pepper and garlic. Its like a match made in heaven.
Mushrooms are commonly referred to as the Vegetarian Meat because of its unique texture. Though it tastes like meat, its a lot healthier than meat. It is full of protein but without the fat. So people who are looking after their cholesterol level can include more of mushrooms in their diet. Even in this preparation, it tastes just like some meat cooked with pepper masala.
I know of many of my vegetarian friends who suffer from protein deficiency. Even though they include lentils on a regular basis in their diet, it is not sufficient to meet their daily protein requirements. You may have to include other sources of protein like soya, mushroom etc. as part of your everyday meal. So mushroom is a very good choice. However, due to its meaty texture there are some vegetarians who do not like it. If you are planning to try mushroom for the first time, just combine it with some of your favorite vegetable like potato or capsicum. Slowly you will start loving this vegetable.
- Mushroom - 1 lb
- Onion - 1 big or 2 small
- Tomato - 1 big or 2 small
- Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
- Garlic - 4 cloves (crushed)
- Green chilly - 1
- Coriander powder - 1 tsp
- Red chili powder - 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder - a pinch
- Garam masala - a pinch
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Lemon juice - 1/2 lemon
- Cilantro - for garnish
Ingredients - 2
- Garlic - 4
- Pepper - 2 tsp (or add as per your heat level)
- Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Chop all the ingredients and keep it ready.
- Coarsely grind the ingredients from list-2 and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and crackle some mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- Add some onions, curry leaves and green chili. Cook till they are soft.
- Add the ginger garlic paste followed by the chopped tomatoes.
- Next add all the dry spices - turmeric powder, chili powder, coriander powder and garam masala. Let everything cook together till nice masala is formed.
- Add the mushrooms and cook it covered with little water. Mushrooms have a lot of water inside so very little water is needed to cook them.
- After about 5 minutes, open the lid and cook uncovered till all the water evaporates. After that add the above ground mixture.
- Sprinkle few drops of lemon juice and toss everything together. Fry for a minute and switch off. If you like it spicier, you can add some more pepper powder.
- Finally, garnish with chopped cilantro. Mushroom pepper masala is ready to be served.
- Serve the spicy pepper mushroom masala with white rice, any variety rice or roti.
More Mushroom Recipes