-Submitted by Rani on 21st Aug 2008
(Kozhi Milagu Varuval, Milagu Kozhi Varuval, Kuru Milagu Kozhi Varuval)
Chicken - 1 lbs (app. 1/2 kg)
- Onion - 2 (chopped)
- Tomatoes - 2 (diced)
- Green chilli - 1 (slit)
- Ginger Garlic paste -1tbsp
- Whole Garam Masala - (Cloves, Cardamom - 2 pieces each, Cinnamon, Bay Leaf - 1 piece each)
- Red chilli powder - 2 tsp
- Coriander powder - 1 tbsp
- Cumin powder - 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Crushed black peppercorns - 1.5 tbsp (preferably freshly crushed)
- Lemon Juice - 1/2 of a lemon
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Fennel seeds - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves - 2 strands
- Salt - 2 tsp
- Coriander leaves - to garnish
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Marinate the chicken with the lemon juice, salt and turmeric powder.
- Heat oil in a deep vessel. Add the mustard seeds and fennel seeds for tempering. After it splutters add whole garam masala.
- Add chopped onions and green chilies. Saute until golden brown.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste and curry leaves.
Saute everything for 5 mins.
- Add tomatoes and saute it until it becomes pulpy.
- Add chilli powder,coriander powder,cumin powder and about 1/4 cup of water. Saute everything for 10 mins in medium heat. When oil comes out it is the correct consistency
- Now add chicken pieces and toss well. Cover and cook for about 10-15 minutes. I prefer this as a dry dish so I do not add any water. If you want gravy, add about 1 cup of water.
- After the chicken is cooked, add the crushed pepper powder and check for seasoning.
- Mix well and switch off.
- To garnish add chopped coriander leaves and some more fresh curry leaves.
More Chicken Recipes