- submitted by Dahlia on 12-14-2010
is a very simple and versatile dessert which can be made easily for a large crowd with whatever ingredients you have on hand. It is made by layering cake, pudding, custard, cookies, fruits, fruit preserves, nuts, jelly, whipped cream etc. Trifle is usually made in a deep glass dish so that the beauty of all the layers can be seen. The number of layers will depend on the depth of the dish that you are using.
Here is a simple procedure to assemble a trifle. You can use your own creativity to make your own layers.
Pound Cake/Sponge Cake – 1 (cut into slices)
Jam - as needed
Butterscotch Instant Pudding - 1 pkt
Cold Milk - as needed to make the pudding
Whipped cream - 1 box (or as needed)
Assorted fruits and nuts - as needed (app. 2 cups)
Fully assembled Trifle
1. Start by making the pudding according to the package instructions.
2. Keep all the ingredients (that you want to layer) ready before you begin assembling.
3. Place the cake slices in the bottom of a dish. You can sprinkle some sugar syrup on the cake slices if you like moist cake.
4. Now put a layer of jam or fruit preserves over the cake. (Lightly heat the jam before applying to loosen it up.)
5. Pour the prepared pudding over this. (You can also use custard instead.)
6. Top this with a layer of assorted fruits and nuts. You can use any fruits like grapes, peaches, kiwi, strawberry, raspberry, chikoo etc.
7. Put a generous amount of whipped cream over this.
8. Place the assembled trifle in the refrigerator for at least 2-3 hours so that all the flavours will come together. Overnight refrigeration would be great.
9. Serve chilled.
Topped with jam and pudding
Other Layering Ideas
- Flavoured Yogurt