- submitted by Dahlia on 11-27-2007
(Turnip wuth turnip greens poriyal, Salgham ki Sabzi, Kocchu Kilangu Poriyal)
Turnip with turnip greens - 1 bunch
Onion - 1 (diced)
Garlic - 2 clove (crushed)
Green Chilly - 2 (minced)
Coconut - ¼ cup (Grated)
Mustard - ¼ tsp
Split black gram - ¼ tsp
Turmeric powder - 1 pinch
Asafoetida - 1 pinch
Curry leaves - 2
Salt - to taste
Oil - 2 tsp
1. To clean the bunch of turnip with turnip leaves, first cut the turnips and then separate each
leaf. Give a good rinse 2-3 times in cold water.
2. Chop the turnips separately into small dices. Place all the leaves one over the other and finely chop it.
3. Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard, split black gram and curry leaves. Fry the onions, green chillies and garlic for 2 minutes.
4. Add the chopped turnip with turmeric, asafoetida and salt and saute for another 2 minutes.
5. Next add the turnip leaves and cook nicely for 7-10 minutes until all the liquid that comes out of the leaves cooks out. Keep tossing often.
6. Add the fresh grated coconut, toss everything together and switch off. You could also make the poriyal with the turnip seperately or the greens seperately.