- submitted by Dahlia on 03-01-2011
(Kotthu Bread, Chilly Bread)
Bread Pieces - 2 cups
Onion - 1/2 (chopped)
Green Chillies - 4 (chopped)
Ginger - 1/2 " piece (grated)
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
Lemon Juice - 1 tblsp
Cilantro - handful (finely chopped)
Salt - as needed
Ghee/ Oil - 1 tblsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Urad dal - 1 tsp
Cashew nuts - 8-10
Curry Leaves - 1 spring
1. This is a recipe that tastes good even with old bread. Cut the bread into small pieces or shread it in a food processor.
2. Heat ghee in a pan and temper the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal, cashew nuts and curry leaves.
3. Add the onions and saute for a couple of minutes till it sweats out.
4. Next add the turmeric powder, green chillies and grated ginger.
5. Add the bread pieces and saute for a minute or two.
6. At this stage you can break 1 egg and fry it along with the bread mixture for added flavour. You can also add 1/2 tsp of garam masala powder.
7. Finally add lemon juice as per your taste and a generous amount of finely chopped cilantro.
8. Toss everything and switch off. Serve as a light meal or as a snack with some pickle.
- You can make this upma with store bought stuffing mix.