- Submitted by Dahlia on 1st Mar 2011
(Kotthu Bread, Chilly Bread Upma)
Recipe For Making Chilli Bread
Bread Pieces - 2 cups
- Onion - 1/2 (chopped)
- Green Chillies - 4 (chopped)
- Ginger - 1/2 " piece (grated)
- Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Lemon Juice - 1 tbsp
- Cilantro - handful (finely chopped)
- Salt - as needed
Ghee/ Oil - 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Urad dal - 1 tsp
- Cashew nuts - 8-10
- Curry Leaves - 1 spring
This is a recipe that tastes good even with old bread. Cut the bread into small pieces or shred it in a food processor.
- Heat ghee in a pan and temper the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal, cashew nuts and curry leaves.
- Add the onions and saute for a couple of minutes till it sweats out.
- Next add the turmeric powder, green chillies and grated ginger.
- Add the bread pieces and saute for a minute or two.
- At this stage you can break 1 egg and fry it along with the bread mixture for added flavor. You can also add 1/2 tsp of garam masala powder.
- Finally add lemon juice as per your taste and a generous amount of finely chopped cilantro.
- Toss everything and switch off.Spicy chilli bread is ready to be served.
Serve the worm chilli bread as a light meal or as a snack with some pickle.
You can make this upma with store bought stuffing mix.
More Leftover Recipes