- submitted by Dahlia on 08-28-2008
(Chukku Coffee, Dry Ginger Tea)
This is a spicy hot drink traditionally made as a home cure for cold and sore throat. For some people it is more than a remedy, its a part of life. There are people who drink this on a regular basis.
Dry ginger (Chukku) - 1/2" piece (ground or crushed)
Karupatti (Palm Sugar) - as needed for sweetness
Whole Peppercorns - 1 tsp
Coffee powder/Tea leaves - 1 tsp (optional)
Cumin seeds - 3/4 tsp
Basil leaves(Tulsi) - 4-5
Water - 1.5 cup
1. Boil the water in a saucepan with karupatti (palm sugar), dry ginger, crushed peppercorns and cumin seeds.
2. Add the coffee powder/ tea powder to this, if needed.
3. Let this boil for 4-5 minutes.
4. Finally add the basil leaves (tulsi) and switch off.
5. Serve it piping hot as a remedy for cold and throat infection.
- If karupatti(palm sugar) does not give enough sweetness add little sugar.
- Jaggery (Vellam) can be used instead of karupatti (palm sugar).