- Submitted by Dahlia on 28th Aug 2008
(Chukku Kapi, Dry Ginger Tea)
This is a spicy drink traditionally made as a home cure for cold and sore throat. For some people it is more than a remedy, its a part of life. There are people who drink this on a regular basis.
Recipe For Chukku Kaapi
Dry ginger (Chukku) - 1/2" piece (ground or crushed)
- Karupatti (Palm Sugar) - as needed for sweetness
- Whole Peppercorns - 1 tsp
- Coffee powder/Tea leaves - 1 tsp (optional)
- Cumin seeds - 3/4 tsp
- Basil leaves(Tulsi) - 4-5
- Water - 1.5 cup
- Boil the water in a saucepan with karupatti (palm sugar), dry ginger, crushed peppercorns and cumin seeds.
- Add the coffee powder/ tea powder to this, if needed.
- Let this boil for 4-5 minutes.
- Finally add the basil leaves (tulsi) and switch off. Chukku kaapi is ready to be served.
- Serve it piping hot as a remedy for cold and throat infection.
If karupatti(palm sugar) does not give enough sweetness add little sugar.
- Jaggery (Vellam) can be used instead of karupatti (palm sugar).
More Beverage Recipes