- submitted by Dahlia on 02-04-2009
Basmati Rice - 2 cups
Chopped mixed fruits (canned or fresh or dried) - 1 cup (like apples, raisins, apricots, peaches, pineapple, kiwi, dried cranberries, candied cherries etc)
Mixed nuts - 1/2 cup ( Almonds, pecan, walnut, cashews etc.)
Saffron strands - 1/4 tsp (for garnish) + 1/4 tsp (for cooking with rice)
Whole Garam Masala - 1 bay leaf, 1 cinnamon stick, 3 cardomon, 3 cloves
Cream - 2 tblsp
Milk - 1/2 cup
Water - 2 cups
Sugar - 1 tblsp
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Ghee/ Butter - 2 tblsp
Rose water - 1 tsp
Salt - as needed
For garnish you can use
Edible Rose Petals
Fresh fruits (chopped)
1. Wash and soak the rice for atleast 10 minutes. Drain it and keep aside.
2. Heat Ghee/ butter in a pan. Add cumin seeds and whole garam masala (cinnamon, bay leaf, cardamon, cloves).
3. Add the sugar to this and fry for a minute followed by the nuts.
4. Add the cream, milk, saffron and water to this and bring it to a boil.
5. In the mean time, fry the rice in little ghee/butter. This step is important as it makes the rice nutty and keeps each grain seperate after it gets cooked.
6. Add this fried rice to the boiling milk water mixture along with required salt.
7. After it comes to a boil, reduce the flame to low, cover with a tight lid and let it cook for 20-25 minutes.
(If using a pressure cooker, just 1 whistle would do)
8. Transfer the rice gently to a large mixing bowl.
9. Add the fruits, remaining saffron strands and rose water to it. Gently mix with a fork.
10. Cover with a aluminium foil or a tight lid and let it rest for 5-10 to let all the flavors to blend.
11. Garnish with edible rose petals, more fruits, nuts, cilantro, fried onions and serve hot with raita.