- recipe by Sabina submitted on 09-14-2008
(Masoor Dal Soup, Paruppu Soup)
Split lentils - 1/2 cup, rinsed (I have used masoor dal here)
Olive oil-1 tblsp
Onions- 1 medium, chopped
Garlic - 2 cloves (optional)
Green Chilly - 1 small, finely chopped
water - 4 cups
salt - 1 tsp (or as needed)
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
coriander seeds -1 tsp
Peppercons - 1/2 tsp
Lemon juice - 1/4 cup
1. Dry roast the cumin seeds, corriander seeds and peppercons. Then crush it corsely using a pestle/blender.
2.Heat oil in a saucepan and sauté the onions, garlic and green chilly over medium heat for 10 minutes.
3. Add remaining ingredients, except lemon juice, and bring to boil. Cover and cook over medium heat for 25 minutes until the lentils are cooked.
4. Puree with hand blender(perferable) or in a blender.
5. Return the pureed mixture back to saucepan and reheat.(If needed add hot water to dilute a little).
6. Stir in lemon juice and serve hot. Try this hearty and healthy soup on a cold winter day or while having a sore throat.