- recipe by Sathya submitted on 08-11-2010
(Apple Fritters, Apple Pakoras)
Apples -2 (peeled and sliced in thin rings )
All purpose flour (maida) - 3/4 cup
Sugar - 1/2 tsp
Oil - 1 tsp
Oil - to fry
Sugar - 1 1/4 cup
Water - 1 cup
Lemon juice - 1/4 teaspoon
Cardamom powder - 1/4 teaspoon
1. Dissolve the sugar in 1/4 cup warm water, and let it sit for about 5 minutes.
2. Mix the flour and oil together.
3. Add the sugar solution to the flour and mix. Add more water as needed to make a smooth batter. The consistency of the batter should be like pancake mix to coat the apple slices.
1. Boil the sugar and water together.
2. Add the lemon juice, cardamom and boil for about 8 minutes until syrup is about 1/2 thread consistensy. Lemon juice keeps the mixture from crystallizing
Making the jalebis
1. Heat the oil in a frying pan.
2. Dip the apple slices completely into the batter.
3. Slowly drop the slices into the frying pan in small batches.
4. Turn them occasionally and fry until both sides are golden-brown.
5. Transfer them immediately into the warm syrup.
6. Let jilebi soak in the hot syrup for a few seconds. Take out and gently place over a wire rack so that the excess syrup can drip from the jalebis.
7. Serve this hot/cold as such or with some vanilla ice cream.