- Submitted by Dahlia
(Asparagus Anda Bhurjee, Asparagus Muttai Varuval)
Asparagus is a vegetable that is native of the European countries. These days it is entering the Indian markets slowly.The tender shoots are cooked and eaten. The shoots are sold in supermarkets in small bunches.
I got introduced to this vegetables during my stay in US. I have already shared the South Indian style Asparagus Poriyal made with green asparagues. This time I came across the white variety of asparagus. I always enjoy making bhurji i.e. a preparation where the vegetable is cooked with beaten eggs and scrambled. I make bhurji with all kinds of vegetables. This time I tried bhurji with white asparagus and the taste was excellent.
Recipe for Asparagus Egg Bhurji
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Asparagus - 1 bunch (chopped)
- Eggs - 3 - 4 (beaten)
- Onion - 1 (chopped)
- Green Chillies - 3-4
- Salt - to taste
- Crushed Black Pepper - to taste (about 1 tsp)
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Urad dal - 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Curry Leaves - 1 strand
- Heat oil in a non stick pan. Add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal add curry leaves.
- Once the seeds pop, add the chopped onions and green chillies.
- When the onions turn golden brown, add the chopped asparagus along with required salt. Sprinkle some water, cover with a lid and let it cook for 3-5 minutes. The asparagus should be cooked by retail some of its crunchiness.
- Break the eggs in a separate bowl. Beat it using a fork.
- Add this beaten eggs to the cooked asparagus. Also add the crushed black pepper. Leave it undisturbed for the next 2 minutes.
- After that, stir fry everything for another couple of minutes. The eggs will get scrambled along with the vegetables.
Serving Asparagus Bhurji
- Serve this as a side dish with white rice or chapatti.
- It can also be used as a stuffing to make sandwiches or wraps.
More Asparagus Recipes