- Submitted by Dahlia
(No Onion No Garlic Dum Aloo, Dum Aloo Curry, Kashmir Style Dum Aloo, Alu Dum)
Dum aloo is a popular dish that originated in Kashmir but also has many variations throughout North India. It is basically gravy made by frying small potatoes and then cooking in a yogurt sauce on low heat (dum). I will be sharing a few other variations like the Punjabi Dum Aloo and Bengali Dum Aloo sometime later.
The Dum Aloo Kashmiri is a no onion, no garlic recipe. It has a few selected spices that give typical Kashmiri aromatic, spicy gravy. I prefer using baby potatoes for the dish but you can make it with any type of potato. So here is the recipe.
Recipe for Kashmiri Dum Aloo
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Baby Potatoes - 20 (about 1/2 kg)
- Whole garam masala - 1 cinnamon, 3 cloves, 1 black cardamom
- Kashmiri chili powder - 3 tsp
- Fennel powder - 3 tsp
- Dry ginger powder - 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida - 1/4 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Yogurt - 3/4 cup
- Water - 1 cup
- Mustard oil - 4 tbsp
- Wash the baby potatoes to remove all the dirt from it. If the potatoes are big, cut into half. All the potatoes should be about the same size. If you do not have baby potatoes, do try out with normal potatoes.
- Take the potatoes in a sauce pan, fill with water so that the potatoes are fully submerged. Add little salt and cook for 5 minutes till the potatoes are partially cooked.
- Drain the potatoes and cool it a little. After that peel the skin of the potatoes. You can carry on without peeling too.
- Using a fork or toothpick, prick holes around each potato so that the spices can seep in.
- Take about 3 tbsp of water in a small bowl and mix all the dry spices (red chili powder, turmeric powder, asafoetida, fennel powder, dry ginger powder) with it.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the potatoes. Pan fry it till all sides turn golden brown. Keep moving the pan to crisp up all sides.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove them on to a plate.
- Add the cumin seeds and whole garam masala.
- After few seconds, add the spice mixed water. Let it cook for couple of minutes.
- Whisk the curd well and add it to the pan. Reduce the heat to low and keep stirring continuously when adding the curd to prevent it from breaking.
- Add water and required salt. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the flame to low and add the pan fried potatoes.
- Cover and let it cook on low heat for 5-10 minutes. The gravy will thicken a bit and the potatoes will absorb the spices.
- Finally garnish with coriander leaves and switch off.
Serving Kashmiri Dum Aloo
- This spicy dum aloo can be served with naan, chapatti, pulka, puri or rice along with some salad.
More Potato Recipes