- Submitted by Dahlia
Jump to recipe ↓
Chicken Cutlet is a snack item often served with tea mainly in Kerala and other parts of India. Most South Indians love bony pieces in their curries. The bonless chicken pieces are used to make cutlets. The boneless chicken pieces are made into a paste using the mixie jar at home. These days its not so difficult as we get ground (minced) chicken in shops itself.
Traditionally every ingredient is cooked before shaping into cutlets. For eg: the chicken is sauteed, onions and green chilies are sauteed separately and the potatoes are boiled. It is then mixed together, shaped into cutlets and fried. I have taken some shortcut and did not saute the onions, ginger garlic paste etc. The cutlets were still good.
The making of these chicken cutlets takes some time. Its a good idea to make these when you have a helping hand or when you have plenty of time. Kids will love these. I prefer to make during weekends. It can be had with tea or as a side dish with biryani.
Recipe for Chicken Cutlet
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
- Ground Chicken ;- 250 gms (1/2 lb)
- Potatoes - 3 (medium size)
- Onion - 1 (chopped)
- Green Chillies - 2 (chopped)
- Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1 tsp
- Red Chili Powder - 1 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Maida (All Purpose Flour) - 1/4 cup
- Bread Crumbs - handful
- Egg- 1
- Oil - for frying
- Boil the potatoes until soft. Peel the skin of the potatoes and mash it.
- Heat 1 tsp of oil in a frying pan and add the ground chicken. If you do not have ground chicken, use boneless skinless chicken. After cooking, just grind the chicken using a mixie.
- Take the chicken in a big mixing bowl. Add the mashed potato to this. Also add chopped onion, green chilies and ginger garlic paste.
- Add salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder and garam masala powder. Check the taste and adjust the spices as needed.
- Once the mix is ready, shape into small patties. You can make the cutlets into round ones or oval shaped.
- Spread the maida and bread crumbs in two different plates. Also beat the egg in a bowl and keep it ready.
- Take each cutlet, roll in the flour, dip into the egg mix and immediately roll with the bread crumbs. Repeat the same with all the cutlets and keep it arranged in a plate for frying.
- Heat oil for frying in a kadai. Once the oil is medium hot, add the prepared cutlets to it, 3-4 at a time depending on the size of the kadai.
- Keep the flame in medium itself. After one side gets fried flip the cutlets. Once it gets a uniform brown colour on all sides, remove it onto a paper towel to remove excess oil.
Detailed Steps for Chicken Cutlet
Boil the potatoes, peel the skin and mash it.
Heat 1 tsp of oil in a frying pan and add the ground chicken.
Take the chicken in a big mixing bowl, add the mashed potato, chopped onion, green chilies and ginger garlic paste. Add salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder and garam masala powder. Mix everything together.
Shape the mixture into cutlets and arrange in a plate.
Spread the maida and bread crumbs and beaten egg in diferent plates.
Take each cutlet, roll in the flour, dip into the egg mix and immediately roll with the bread crumbs. Repeat the same with all the cutlets.
Heat oil for frying in a kadai. Add the prepared cutlets to it, 3-4 at a time.
Keep the flame in medium itself. After one side gets fried flip the cutlets. Once it gets a uniform brown colour on all sides, remove it onto a paper towel to remove excess oil.
Serving Chicken Cutlets
- Serve these crispy chicken cutlets with some tomato ketchup or mint chutney and a cup of Indian Chai. If not serve it as a side dish with some rice variety.
- These cutlets can also be used to make burgers, wraps or sandwiches.
More Kerala Recipes