- Submitted by Beryl
(Nithya Vazhuthananga, Kaambu Kathirikkai)
Clow beans is not usually found in any vegetable shops in many places in India or in Australia. It is found in Kerala homes. When I visited a friend’s house, I saw this plant in her backyard garden and this vegetable looked like a flower bud to me. I could not believe that it’s a vegetable at first, because it looks exactly like a jasmine bud. She picked some clove beans and gave it to me. I tried making poriyal with this vegetable and it turned out really good and tasty. Here is the recipe -
Recipe for Clove Beans Stir Fry
Preparation Time : 10 minutes
Cooking Time : 20 minutes
Serves : 4
- Nithya Vazhuthananga or Clove beans - 1 plateful
- Onion -1
- Shallots - 5
- Curry leaves -10-12
- Dry red chillies - 2
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
- Red chilly powder - 1-2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Green chilies – 2
- Urid dhal - 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Garlic cloves - 2
- Ginger - 1 small piece
- Desiccated or grated coconut - ½ cup
- Wash the beans properly and slice them into two equal portions. The beans changes color, if left outside for a long time. So put the cut beans in a bowl of water, till the time of cooking.
- Chop the onion, shallots, green chilies, garlic and ginger into small pieces. Keep all the ingredients ready for cooking
- Heat oil in a pan. You can use sunflower oil or any other cooking oil. When oil becomes hot, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and allow it to splutter.
- Add curry leaves and dry red chilli now. Add urid dhal and stir till it becomes golden brown colour
- Add onions, shallots and stir. Add ginger and garlic pieces. Stir well till the raw smell of garlic and ginger goes away.
- Now add the chopped clove beans and stir.
- After a minute, add salt, turmeric powder, red chilly powder and stir well using a wooden spoon. Cook by sprinkling some water here and there. Do not add too much water.
- Cook till the vegetable becomes almost properly cooked. Do not overcook the vegetables, as all nutrients will be lost if overcooked. Now check for salt and add if necessary.
- Add the finely grated coconut or fine desiccated coconut to get the nice aroma and taste of coconut. Stir fry for a minute till everything blends well and switch off the stove.
- You can add cooked dhal with this vegetable and it adds more taste to this.
- You can also grind the coconut with some cumin, shallots and green chilies and add to this.
Serving Clove Beans Stir Fry
- It goes well with white rice and some curry.
More Stir Fry Recipes