- Submitted by Dahlia
(Thengai Sadam, Naariyal Baath, Nariyala Baath, தேங்காய் சாதம்)
Coconut Rice is one of the simplest rice preparations from south India. There is another variation called Thai coconut rice for which I will share the recipe later.
In this recipe, we make a quick seasoning and roast the grated coconut. The more coconut you add, the more flavorful the rice will be. It goes well with any side dish. It is perfect for lunch box and even to serve for unexpected guests.
Recipe For Coconut Rice
- Cooked rice - 1 cup
- Grated coconut - 3/4 cup
- Oil (preferably coconut oil) - 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Channa dal - 1 tbsp
- Urad dal - 1 tbsp
- Cashew nuts - 6-8
- Red chillies - 2
- Green chillies - 2 (optional)
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Asafoetida - a pinch
- Cook the rice such that each grains are separate. You can use left over rice to make this.
- Heat oil in a pan and pop the mustard seeds.
- Next add the channa dal, urad dal, cashew nuts and fry for few minutes on low flame till it turns golden brown.
- Add the chillies, curry leaves and asafoetida.
- Now add the grated coconut and roast for few minutes till it gets dry and starts getting a slight color change. Do not let it change color completely.
- Add required salt and the cooked rice. Stir fry till everything gets mixed well and switch off. Coconut Rice is ready to be served.
- This tasty coconut rice can be served with pickle, appalam, chips or any side dish.
- Instead of rice, substitute with rice sevai, ragi sevai or semiya to make coconut sevai.
More Rice Varieties