- Submitted by Dahlia
(Aali Vithai Idli Podi, Flax Seeds Kaaram, Gun Powder)
Most of us are aware of the health benefits of flax seeds. It is an excellent source of Omega-3 fatty acids for vegetarians. It has a natural protection against cancer. It is also good for people with high cholesterol and diabetes. Remembering and having a tsp of flax seed everyday can be quite a task. I have many friends who buy a packet thinking of having it every day, but after few months it is simply sitting in the pantry.
This recipe is our family favorite way of consuming flax seeds i.e. in the form of podi. In South India, podi is an important form of the diet. It is served with idli, dosa and white rice with some ghee or sesame oil. It is also added to vegetable fry preparations. I usually love to add 1-2 tbsp of idli podi when making brinjal fry, bottle gourd fry etc. It gives a very good texture and taste to the otherwise bland, watery vegetables.
Idli podi is traditionally made with urad dal without skin. My mom often makes with the whole black urad dal to make it healthier. It is a great option for adolescent girls, women after delivery and menopause. I have also added curry leaves and black seseme seeds to improve the nutritious value of the podi.
Though it has all the healthy ingredients, it tastes very good. I am sure you will enjoy it, so make a batch today itself. .
Recipe for Flaxseed Ildi Podi
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Makes: 3 cups
- Flax seed – 1 cup (about 200 gms)
- Black Urad (Whole Urad dal with skin) – 1 cup
- Channa Dal – ¼ cup
- Black Sesame Seeds – ¼ cup
- Curry Leaves – 1 cup
- Dry Red Chilies – 15
- Asafoetida – ½ tsp
- Salt – 2 tsp (or as needed)
- Dry roast the black urad dal with skin on medium low heat. Keep stirring continuously. After about 5 minutes, you will get the roasted aroma. You cannot see the change in colour because it is black. Transfer it to a plate and let it cool.
- Take the flax seeds in the same pan and roast it. After 3-4 minutes, it will start popping. Once you feel most of the seeds have popped, transfer this also to the plate to cool.
- In the same pan, dry roast the channa dal till it turns golden brown. Remove it to the plate to cool.
- Next roast the black sesame seeds until it starts popping. Let this cool too.
- Now roast the curry leaves for 3-5 minutes till the leaves turn crispy. Transfer this also to the plate.
- Roast the dry red chilies last. I usually switch off the stove and leave the chilies in the hot pan. The heat in the pan is sufficient to roast it.
- After about 10-15 minutes, all the ingredients would have cooled. Take required salt and asafetida along with the other items.
- Transfer everything to the blender and coarsely grind it.
- Store it in an air tight box. It stays good in room temperature for up to a month. In the refrigerator, it will be fresh for 3-4 months. If you intent to store longer, put it in the freezer.
Serving Flaxseed Idli Podi
- This makes a great side dish with white rice or chapatti.
More Flaxseed Recipes