-Submitted by Dahlia
(Red Goan Perad, Guava Paste, Goiabada, Pasta de guayaba, Guayabate, Perad)
Perad, also known as Guava Cheese is a very popular dessert from Goa. It is another dish that was brought to Goa by the Portuguese. In America it is known by different names as Guava Paste, Pasta de guayaba or Guayabate. It has a texture like a fudge and can be used as a spread over toast. It can be had as a dessert or used as a filling to make pies and pastries.
Recipe For Guava Cheese
- Guavas - 1 kg
- Sugar - 750 grams
- Lime Juice - 1 tbsp
- Butter/Ghee - 1 tbsp
- Take some fresh guavas, clean it and peel the edges and black spots from it. Chop it into big chunks.
- Boil the chunks with little water and grind it to a smooth puree. Boiling is optional but it makes the blending easier.
- Sieve the pure through a strainer or a muslin cloth to get rid of all the seeds. This is a time consuming process but is quite important.
- Take this smooth pure in a non stick flat pan and heat it. Keep stirring continuously to prevent the bottom from getting burnt.
- When most of the moisture evaporates, add the sugar and continue stirring.
- Slowly the colour begins to deepen and the mixture begins to thicken. Add the lime juice and butter (or ghee) and continue mixing. The butter gives a nice sheen and the lime helps the cheese to set.You can remove and store when it the mixture is still viscous (i.e.in Jam consistency). This can be used as a spread over toast for breakfast.
- If not, continue to cook till the mix comes together as one mass and starts to leave the edges of the pan.
- Grease a plate or tray with some oil and spread this mixture evenly.
- Let it cool and set for a couple of hours before you slice it and enjoy. You can cut the Guava Cheese into squares or diamonds or any other shape.
More Recipes With Guava