- Submitted by Beryl
(Kadala Parippu Pradhaman, Channa Dal Payasam)
Kadalai Paruppu Payasam is our all time favourite. It is a thick, rich kheer prepared by cooking boiled bengal gram dhal in coconut milk and jaggery. It is also knwon as Kadala Parippu Pradhaman. It's one of the sweet dishes prepared mostly in Kerala during Onam and other festivals. In weddings also, paruppu payasam is served along with ada pradhaman and semiya payasam.
We prepare this payasam at home whenever we feel like eating something sweet. Pasi paruppu payasam made with moong dhal is also quite common. This version of paruppu payasam made with channa dhal is also very tasty. It has a nutty taste that comes from the channa dhal. Let's see how to make this wonderful recipe.
Recipe for Kadalai Paruppu Payasam
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Serves: 2 - 3
- Channa dhal (Bengal Gram Dal) - 3/4 cup
- Sago (Javvarisi) - 1/4 cup
- Jaggery - 1/4 to 1/2 cup
- Thick Coconut milk - 1/2 cup
- Milk- 1 tbsp
- Ghee - 2 to 3 tsp
- Cashew nuts-10
- Sultanas or raisins- 10
- Cardamom -3
- In a pan, dry roast the channa dhal till it becomes golden brown colour.
- Transfer that to a pressure cooker, add water to immerse the dhal and cook for about 4 whistles.
- When all the pressure has gone, open it and roughly smash dhal with a spoon and keep it aside.
- In a separate pan, boil the sago (javvarasi) with little water in low flame, till they become transparent. It may stick to the bottom of pan. So keep stirring in between.
- Meanwhile, in another pan, add 1/2 cup water, add jaggery and bring it to boil. Crush the jaggery with a spoon to help it melt faster.
- Strain the jaggery syrup to remove any dirt particles in it.
- Next add this jaggery syrup and cooked javvarisi into the pressure cooker containing cooked dhal.
- Heat in slow to medium flame. Stir in between.
- Add coconut milk and fresh cows milk before it boils. Once the coconut milk is added, don't boil too much.
- Now add the cardamom powder and heat in low flame.
- In another pan, heat ghee and roast cashew nuts first. When it turns light golden brown colour, add raisins and roast for few seconds. Now transfer them to the pressure cooker containing dhal and heat for few more minutes in low flame.
- Now check the sweetness and switch off the stove.
- Some people grind the cooked dhal in mixie instead of mashing with spoon.
- Some prefer to add cardamom powder while others add just split cardamom. Both will be fine.
Serving Kadalai Paruppu Payasam
- Serve it hot or cold. It both ways it tastes good.
- In wedding functions, it is served in banana leaf and ripe banana is provided to mix and eat with this payasam.
More Payasam Recipes