- Submitted by Beryl
(Kerala Rosematta Rice, Red Rice from Kerala, Kuthari Choru, How to cook Kerala Rice?)
Jump to recipe ↓
Kerala Matta rice is red in color and has more fiber when compared with that of white rice. It is definitely more nutritious and highly recommended for lunch as it is packed full of nutrients. This rice is commonly found in Kerala state of India. It takes bit more time to cook when compared with that of white rice. It can be cooked by open vessel method, pressure cooker method etc. In this page, let's see how to cook Matta rice using pressure cooker method and open vessel method.
Recipe for Kerala Matta Rice
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- Red rice - 2 cups
- Water - 5 cups (for pressure cooker method, ratio of water:rice is 2.5: 1)
- Water - about 8 - 10 cups (for Open Vessel Method use plenty of water so that the rice is covered fully with water.)
Pressure Cooker Method
- In a vessel, take 2 cups of rice.
- Wash 3 to 4 times thoroughly with cold water. Drain off the excess water.
- In a pressure cooker take 5 cups of water using the same cup.
- Switch on the stove and keep the pressure cooker on stove and put the rice and water. With a spoon, stir once or twice and spread the rice evenly.
- Close with the lid and wait for vapor to come out. Now put the whistle.
- Allow it to boil properly. When you hear 3 whistles, put off the stove.
- Remove from the stove and wait till all the pressure inside goes out. Once all the pressure is released, open and check the rice.
- Transfer the rice to another wide vessel and stir slightly so that the rice remains non-sticky. Serve with some curry.
Open Vessel Method
- First clean the rice with cold water for about 4 times and soak in water for about 30 mins to 1 hour.
- In a wide thick bottom vessel, take water about half of its volume. Keep it on stove top and allow it to boil.
- When the water starts to boil, transfer the rice into the vessel and stir once so that rice does't stick to the bottom of the vessel.
- Allow it to boil properly by stirring in between. It will take about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Check if the rice is cooked by chewing it or by pressing with your hand.
- Once done, drain the excess water using a colander. The rice is ready to serve. (The cooking time may vary depending on the heat of the stove and rice type. You can also check the rice packet for cooking instructions.)
- The washed water from raw rice is very good for rose plants.
- The water drained after cooking the rice is called Kanji Vellam. This rice water is used as a gruel for sick people. In Kerala houses, sometimes it is used as a mid-meal beverage. It is used for washing hair, face and even as a natural starch for cotton sarees.
Serving Kerala Matta Rice
- This rice tastes great with paruppu curry, pulissery, sambar, fish curry, theeyal, naadan chicken curry, beef curry and other traditional Kerala curries.
More Kerala Recipes