- Submitted by Dahlia
(Little Millet with Curd, Samai with Curd, Yogurt Little Millet)
Little millet curd rice is another simple dish that can be prepared with little millet, which is also known as samai, chama or kutki. I already shared that Little Millet is a texture and taste that is very close to regular rice. So you can make any variety rice dish using little millet. If you enjoy the regular curd rice, I am sure you will relish this one too. You can also try making this millet curd rice with other millets like barnyard millet, Kodo millet etc.
The combination of millets and curd (or buttermilk) is a very traditional one. There are some popular recipes that our ancestors made with pearl millet and finger millet. The millet is cooked, fermented and then mixed with buttermilk. It is known as kambu (pearl millet) koozh and keppai (finger millet) koozh. With little millet, you don't have to ferment like that. Since samai (little millet), tastes so much like regular rice, you can prepare it just the way you make curd rice. I really enjoyed having this with some mango pickle. My kids loved it too. Its such a good feeling when you know that you are eating something healthy. Isn't it? I am sure most of you know to prepare curd rice but anyways I have shared the recipe that I followed below.
Recipe for Little Millet Curd Rice
Preparation time : 5 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Serves - 3-4
- Little millet - 1 cup
- Water - 3 cups
- Plain curd - 3/4 cup
- Salt - to taste
- Coriander leaves (cilantro) - 2 tbsp (finely chopped)
- Pomegranate pearls/ Grated carrot/ Raw mango pieces - 2 tbsp (optional)
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Urad dal - 1 tsp
- Dry red chili/green chili - 1
- Ginger - 1/2" piece (finely chopped)
- Curry leaves - few
- Take the little millet, water and required salt in a pressure cooker. Cook it for 3 whistles. You can also cook using absorption method as I have described here.
- Once the pressure releases, mash the cooked millet partially with a ladle. It is easy to mash it up when it is still hot.
- Also, beat the curd in a separate bowl with a pinch of salt.
- Heat oil in a small pan and temper with mustard seeds, urad dal, dry red chili, chopped ginger and curry leaves.
- Add this seasoned oil to the beaten curd.
- Mix this curd along with the seasoning with the cooked millet. Add more curd or milk to adjust the consistency. Check for salt.
- Finally garnish with chopped cilantro and other ingredients that you have on hand. Make an interesting presentation and enjoy.
Serving Little Millet Curd Rice
- I enjoyed samai thayir sadam with some mango pickle. I am sure it will taste equally delicious with any type of pickle, vatrals or mor milagai. Its another dish suitable for hot summer days.
More Millet Recipes