-Submitted by Dahlia on 18th Jan 2015
Rava Pongal is a tasty variation to the traditional Ven Pongal. This recipe is perfect for pongal lovers who are looking for an alternative to rice. This goes very well with some coconut chutney and sambhar.
The recipe that I have shared below is a very simple and quick one. You just need one pot from start to finish. It is perfect to make for breakfast or dinner even during busy weekdays.
- Rava - 1 cup
- Moong dal (pasi paruppu) - 1/3 cup
- Ghee – 1 tbsp
- Water – 3 cups
- Salt – to taste
- Ghee – 2 tbsp
- Ginger – 1” piece (finely chopped)
- Black peppercorns - 1 tsp (coarsely crushed)
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp (coarsely crushed)
- Cashew nuts – 5
- Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
- Take a wide pan or kadai. Dry roast the moong dal on medium low heat for about 3 minutes till a nice aroma comes out. Remove it out in a plate.
- Heat 1 tbsp of ghee in the same pan and roast the rava till it starts changing color. Remove it into a plate.
- Heat the ghee in the same kadai and add the tempering ingredients. Roast for half a minute.
- Add the moong dal, salt and 1 cup of water. Cook it for about 10 minutes.
- Now add the remaining water and bring it to boil.
- Slowly add the rava while stirring constantly.
- Reduce the heat to simmer and cover with a lid.. Cook for another 10 minutes will all the liquid is absorbed.
More Pongal Recipes