-Submitted by Raji Ramakrishnan
(Tiranga Khatta Dhokla, Idli Batter Dhokla)
Jump to recipe ↓
Whenever I make Idli batter, I prefer to make idlis for a day or 2 when the batter is fresh. With the remaining batter, I either make dosas, uthappams or kuzhipaniyaarams. This week also I finished my usual round of idli and dosa. I was thinking of what to do with some left over idli batter that I had in the fridge. Then I remembered my friend from Mumbai who often makes Rice Dhoklas with leftover idli batter. I immediately decided to make that. Here is a simple and wonderful recipe that I want to share with everyone.
This is such a tasty dish that any of us will enjoy. I usually add colourful veggies to improve the taste and visual appearance of the dish. Also, if the batter is a little old and sour, the veggies balances the taste.
It can also be called Tricolor (Thiranga) Dhokla. These dhoklas tastes great with any chutney, pickle or sauce. It is a good option for kids to give after school. You can also make it and celebrate Independence or Republic day.
Recipe for Rice Dhokla
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
For the Batter
- Idli Batter - 1/4 kg
- Carrot - 1 (grated)
- Capsicum (Green Bell Pepper) - 1/2 (finely chopped)
- Green Beans - 2 tbsp (finely chopped)
- Green Peas - 2 tbsp
- Green Chili - 3 (finely chopped)
- Ginger garlic paste - 1/2 tsp
- Dosai Milagai Podi - 3 tbsp
- Red Chili Powder - 1 tsp (optional)
For the tempering
- Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
- Oil - 2 tsp
- White sesame seeds - 1 tsp
- Green coriander leaves (Cilantro) - 2 tbsp (finely chopped)
- Mix all the ingredients under 'For the batter'.
- Transfer it to a greased flat bowl.
- Steam cook for 15-20 minutes.
- After it is cooked, temper with the items mentioned in 'For the tempering'.
- Cut it into desired shape viz. square or triangle.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
Serving Rice Dhokla
More Traditional Tiffin Recipes