- recipe by Manaswita submitted on 5th March 2013
(Steamed Hilsa, Fish steamed in mustard sauce)
Hilsa fish (Ilish) - about 500 gm (cut into medium size pieces)
Salt to taste
Onion seeds (kalonji)
1. Wash the fish. Coat the fish with turmeric powder and salt. Keep it aside and let it marinate for 15 minutes.
2. Make a paste of mustard and turmeric powder with some water.
3. Heat a pan with 2-3 tblsp of mustard oil. Put ½ tblsp of Kalonji (onion Seeds) and 2 green chillies.
4. Add the paste and stir for a minute. Next add the fishes.
5. Pour 2 cups of water. Cover and let it cook for about 10-15 minutes. (You can also pressure cook for 2 whistles.)
6. Let the gravy thicken.
7. Drizzle 1 tbsp of mustard oil and 2-3 green chillies. Serve with steamed rice.