- Submitted by Beryl
Jump to recipe ↓
Couscous is a tiny rava like steamed balls made of of wheat semolina. Sometimes it is also made with barley or pearl millet. It cook really fast and is perfect for weekdays to make quick and tasty dishes. It is a great option for diabetic people or for anyone who wants to include healthy grains to their diet.
I prepared this spicy chicken couscous as a lunch box recipe for my kids. It a one pot meal that is easy to make and nutritious. Lets see how to make this easy recipe.
Recipe for Spicy Chicken Couscous
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Boneless Chicken pieces- about 20 (cut into small pieces)
- Couscous - 1 cup
- Onion - 1
- Tomatoes - 2 -3
- Mixed vegetables - 1.5- 2 cup (carrot, beans, corn, peas, capsicum etc.)
- Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
- pepper powder - 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Chilli powder - 1 tsp (or according to your taste)
- Salt- as per taste
- Cooking oil - 2-3 tsp
- Raisins- about 15 numbers (optional)
- Lemon juice - from 1 lemon
- Hotwater -
- Take the boneless chicken pieces in a bowl and add ginger garlic paste, salt, chilli powder, turmeric powder and pepper powder
- Mix everything properly and keep it aside for margination for about 30-40 minutes.
- Take the couscous in a bowl and add about 1/4 tsp of chilli powder and pinch of salt and mix well
- Now add hotwater to the couscous (till it immerses) and cover and keep it aside for about 10-15 minutes.
- In a hot pan, pour some cooking oil and fry the chicken pieces.
- Once done, remove from the pan
- Use the same pan for cooking the remaining ingredients
- Heat the pan in low flame with little bit of oil and fry the raisins until it puffs like a balloon
- Remove the raisins and keep in a plate.
- Now in the same pan, add finely chopped onion, and saute it by adding a pinch of salt
- When it starts to sweat, add the tomatoes and saute well
- Now add the already chopped mixed vegetables and salt and saute them
- Now add the couscous from the bowl and raisins and lemon juice
- Mix and check the salt
- Spicy chicken couscous is ready to serve as breakfast or as a takeaway lunch.
- Add any vegetable you have in your kitchen. You can even add cauliflower, potato, mushroom, baby corn etc.
- Cut the chicken into small pieces for easy frying
- Adding nuts and raisins is optional.