-Submitted by Dahlia on 12th Oct 2015
(Sweet Urud Dal Sundal, Sweet Sundal, Karupatti Ulundu)
Whole Black Gram (Karuppu Ulundu, Urad Bean) is a very healthy item commonly used in many Tamil recipes. Any whole grain is always healthier and is recommended due to its high fiber content. Karuppu Ulundu was traditionally used by our ancestors for making idlis and dosas. The whole urad bean was soaked and the skin was peeled before making the batter. Sometimes, when the whole beans were broken, it was used as such to make the batter along with broken rice. The dosa made in this was was called as ‘Kurunai Dosai’ or ‘Karutha Dosai’. The batter was also used to make instant vadais called ‘Kurunai Vadai’ before it was fermented for making dosas. Some other traditional recipes made using whole black gram are ulutham kanji, ulutham kali, ulundu sundal, maa ki daal etc. I will share those recipes sometime later. Today’s recipe is a very simple dish where the cooked black gram is sweetened with palm sugar or jaggery. It is a perfect after school snack for kids or a healthy light salad during diet. It tastes great with a cup of warm milk.
- Whole Black Gram (Karuppu Ulundu) – ½ cup
- Palm sugar (Karupatti) – ¼ cup (Alternatively, you can use jaggery)
- Grated Coconut – 3 tbsp
- Cardamom Powder – ¼ tsp
- Salt – a pinch
- Soak the whole black gram for about half an hour. Soaking is optional but it speeds up the cooking process. You can even soak it longer.2. Pressure cook the ulundu for three whistles.
- Melt the palm sugar in a pan and strain it to remove any impurities. If you are sure about the quality of the palm sugar, you can powder and add it directly to the cooked black gram. Instead of palm sugar, you can also sweeten with jaggery.
- Once the pressure is released, open the cooker, add the salt, strained palm sugar, cardamom powder and grated coconut.
- Switch on the flame and cook everything on low heat for another 5-10 minutes till most of the moisture evaporates. Enjoy this warm, sweet and healthy snack.
- Serve as a evening snack with a cup of milk
More Recipes With Black Gram