- Submitted by Raji Ramakrishnan
(Punjabi Tinda Masala, Tinda ki subzi, Tinda Masala, Punjabi Tinda)
Tinda is a watery vegetable similar to lauki (bottle gourd). It belongs to the family of squash and gourds. In English it is referred to as Apple Gourd or Indian Round Gourd. It is popular in Pakistani and Punjabi cuisines. It is a lovely vegetable to make sabzi which goes along with chapati very well.
Recipe For Tinday Ki Sabzi
- Tinda - 4-5 (cut into big pieces)
- Onion - 1 (finely chopped)
- Tomato - 1 (finely chopped)
- Ginger Garlic Paste - 1/2 tsp
- Red Chili Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander Powder - 1 tsp
- Cumin Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - a pinch
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Coriander leaves (Cilantro) - for garnish
There are two ways of making this sabzi. One is by pureeing the tomato and onion. The second method is by sauteing the onion and tomato. I have used the second method.
- Wash and peel the tinda like you remove the skin of lauki. Cut into big pieces.
- Heat oil in a kadai, add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- When it splutters, add the onion and saute for about three minutes.
- Next add the tomatoes and saute till the tomatoes becomes soft.
- Add the masalas (Dry spice powders) and salt. Also, add the tinda pices and saute for few minutes.
- Add 1 cup of water and cover it. Cook till the tinda becomes soft. Now the tinday ke sabzi is ready to be served.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with chapati.
More Recipes with Squash Varieties