- Submitted by Raji Ramakrishnan
(Tarboosani Dosai, Tarbooz ka Utappa, Watermelon Pancakes)
Watermelon Dosa is a innovative dosa that you can make with the white portion of the watermelon. Usually the red flesh is consumed and the white is discarded by many. But it has many nutrients and tastes like cucumber. You can cut the green skin and use this white portion in many recipes. It can be substituted in many recipes instead of cucumber.
Here is a tiffin variety that can be made with the white of the watermelon. It makes a tasty dinner. Please give this a try next time you buy watermelons.
Recipe for Watermelon Dosa
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- Rice - 1 cup
- Grated Watermelon (white portion) - 2 cups
- Green Chilies - 2
- Cumin Seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida - a pinch
- Black pepper powder (optional)
- Wash and soak the rice for 2-3 hrs.
- Grate the white portion of water melon. Squeeze the water out of the water melon and keep aside.
- Drain the rice and grind it along with green chilly, asafoetida and the water squeezed out of the melon to a smooth paste.
- Add the grated water melon and mix well. You will get a thick batter like idli batter.
- Mix black pepper powder (optional). Allow to ferment for 4-5 hours.(You can make dosas immediately also but it tastes good if it is little bit sour).
- Heat the non stick tava. When it becomes hot apply oil and rub it with a piece of onion.
- Pour one ladle of batter and spread little bit. Put one tsp oil.
- When the bottom side is cooked, flip to cook the other side also. Pour one tsp oil again. Cook the same till you get brown spots on both the sides.
- You cannot make this dosa as you make the the normal dosa. The structure will be somewhat like uttappa.
- Instead of watermelon, try other ingredients like cucumber, yellow squash or bottle gourd.
Serving Watermelon Dosa
- Serve the hot watermelon dosa with any chutney. If it becomes cold, the taste is different.
More Watermelon Recipes