- Submitted by Dahlia
(Quail 65, Kaadai Fry, Kaadai Varuval, Kaadai Roast)
Kaadai (or Quail) is a small bird similar to little chicks. In one my uncles house, Kaadai was grown. This bird is considered good for Asthma patients. Quail (Kaadai) eggs are regularly given for kids suffering from wheezing. The tiny little birds and its tiny eggs are very cute looking.
These days they are easily available in many chicken shops. There used to be days when kaadai was available only in restaurants. Just a small piece full of bones would cost more than Rs. 150. It is so much more easier and tastier if you make this at home. In US, these are easily available in most Chinese grocery stores.
In South India, Kaadai Varuval (Quail Fry) is a very popular recipe. Apart from that, we also make Kaadai Biriyani and Kaadai masala. You can fry this kaadai as a whole bird or cut each kaadai into 4. Try this simple and tasty recipe.
Recipe For Quail 65/Fry
- Kaadai (Quail) - 4
- Red Chilly Powder - 2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 tsp (optional)
- Garam Masala - 1 tsp
- Lemon Juice - 2 tsp
- Curry Leaves - 2 spring
- Salt - 2 tsp
- Coconut Oil (or any other refined oil) - for frying
- Clean the quail (kaadai) thoroughly and make few slits so the spices to get inside. You can leave the kaadai whole or cut each kaadai into 4.
- Mix the lemon juice, red chilly powder, turmeric powder, ginger garlic paste, garam masala, curry leaves and salt in a bowl.
- Rub this paste all over the kaadai and let it marinate for at least half an hour.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the kaadai in batches. You may deep fry or pan fry.
- It gets fried very fast, about 5 minutes for each batch. Garnish with lemon wedges and serve.
- You can add a pinch of red food colour along with the masala. The kaadai 65 will have a bright red colour just like in restaurants.
- Serve this as a side dish for any biryani like kaadai biriyani or chicken biriyani.
- It also goes well with white rice and some curry.
- You may also serve this as an appetizer.
More Kaadai (Quail) Recipes