Submitted by Dahlia Sam
(Chicken Masala, Kozhi Thokku, கோழி தோக்கு)
Jump to recipe ↓
Chicken Thokku is one of the tastiest chicken preparations that can be made with simple ingredients. It is also called as Chicken Masala. It doesn't need anything to be ground or powdered. This can be prepared by bachelors or students staying as paying guests. Yet the taste of the dish is absolutely delicious.
This spicy chicken thokku can be served with pulao varieties, white rice, chapathi etc. It is a semi gravy dish that looks, smells and tastes appealing.
Recipe For Chicken Thokku
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
- Chicken - 3/4 kg
- Onion - 2
- Tomato - 1
- Ginger garlic paste - 2 tsp
- Green chilies - 2 (slit)
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Red Chili powder - 2 tsp
- Coriander powder - 1 tbsp
- Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
- Fennel powder - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper powder - 1 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Curry leaves - 1 spring
- Coriander leaves - handful
- Wash chicken, coat with salt, turmeric powder and red chili powder.
- In a frying pan, fry the pieces on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- In another kadai, heat oil, add sliced onions and fry till it becomes golden brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste, fry for a minute.
- Puree the tomato and add to this....
- Add the spice powders and 1/2 cup water. Let it cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the fried chicken to this and cook covered till oil separates.
- Finally add some curry leaves and switch off.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and enjoy.
Serving Chicken Thokku
- This thick Chicken Masala goes well with white rice and some curry like rasam , sambar or dal.
- It can also be enjoyed with pulao varieties, roti varieties, upma, couscous etc.
More Chicken Recipes