- Submitted By Trupti
(Dahipuri, Dahi batata puri)
Jump to recipe ↓
Dahi Piri is one among the famous Mumbai street food chaat item. It is otherwise called as Dahi Batata Puri. It mainly consists of curd (Yogurt), potato, tamarind and mint chutney and sev. Here is the recipe.
Recipe For Dahi Puri
- Rava (Semolina) - 1 cup
- Maida (All Purpose Flour) - 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Regular water - 1/4 cup
- Oil - to fry
Tamarind (Imli) Chutney
- Ripe brown imli - 1 cup
- Jaggery (Gul) - 1 cup
- Dry Ginger Powder - 1 tsp
- Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
- Salt - to taste
Mint (Pudhina) Chutney
- Fresh Pudhina Leaves – 1 cup
- Fresh Coriander leaves - 1 cup
- Dark Green Chillies - 4-5
- Peeled Garlic cloves - 7-8
- Ginger - 1 -2 inch
- Lemon - half
- Salt and sugar to taste
- Boiled Potatoes - 1 cup
- Finely chopped onion - 1 cup
- Bhuna Sev- 1 cup
- Dahi - roughly 250 gms
- Red chilli powder - 2-3 tsp
- Roasted Cumin (Jeera) powder - 2-3 tsp
- Black salt - 2-3 tsp
- Chaat Masala - 2-3 tsp
- Fresh chopped coriander - 1/2 cup
- Roughly grind Rava on incher mode. You can ever crush it in Motar Pestle.
- In a bowl take maida, add crushed rava, salt and give a good mix.
- With help of water make the dough. The dough should be medium soft.
- Cover the dough with moist cloth, it should not become dry. Apply 1/2 tsp of oil and rest for half an hour.
- After it has rested, make a thin big roti with chakala and belan.
- With a help of Indian 2 Rupee coin, measure and mark circles in the roti and cut. You can use any small mould, cookie cutter or bottle cap.
- Fry the small puri in hot oil, remove fried puris on to a tissue paper to remove excess oil.
For Tamarind (Imli) Chutney
- Soak tamarind (Imli) in hot water at least for an hour, so that it becomes mushy.
- Mash the Imli properly, and strain the pulp in a separate pan. Repeat again by adding hot water in the tamarind once again.
- On small medium flame start heating the tamarind pulp. Add crushed jaggery (gul), red chilli Powder, dry ginger powder, salt and give a good mix.
- Once the puree start boiling, it forms froth on top. Cook till the complete froth disappears and nice glaze appears. Keep stirring in between.
- Add hot water only while squeezing. Do not add any later. This chutney can be stored in refrigerator for almost 6 months.
For Mint (Pudhina) Chutney
- Wash the pudhina and coriander leaves.
- In a mixie jar add all the ingredients listed and grind to a smooth paste. Add water to adjust the consistency.
- To keep chutney green, lemon is most important.
Final Assembling and Serving
- Crack the puri from centre and place them on a plate.
- Add boiled potatoes, onions, pudhina chutney, imli chutney and fresh beaten curd (Dahi).
- Sprinkle red chilli powder, black salt, chaat masala and roasted jeera (cumin) powder.
- Garnish with sev and fresh finely chopped coriander leaves.
- If you are making curd at home, add 1-2 spoon sugar in milk and 1 big green chilli so that the dahi sets perfectly. Before pouring dahi give a good mix so that it falls evenly in puri.
More Chaat Recipes