- Submitted by Dahlia
(Curry Leaves Kulambu, Curry Leaves Gravy)
Jump to recipe ↓
Karuveppilai Kuzhambu or Curry leaves kulambu is a delicious and healthy gravy that tastes excellent with piping hot white rice. Generally curry leaf is an aromatic herb that is added to all gravies and side dishes in South India. However, most people just pick it and keep it aside and fail to get all its nutritional values. In this Karuveppilai Kuzhambu, curry leaves is the star ingredient. It is not only tasty but super healthy.
I first tasted this curry leaves kulambu at my paati’s (grandma’s) house. This curry tastes best with piping hot white rice but also goes well with idli, dosa or chapathi. Try this and you will not be disappointed.
Recipe For Karuveppilai Kuzhambu
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- Shallots – 15
- Garlic – 10
- Coriander Powder – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp
- Tamarind – marble sized (soaked)
- Jaggery - ½ tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Gingelly Oil – 2 tbsp
- Water – 1 cup
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Fenugreek Seeds – ½ tsp
- Asafoetida – ¼ tsp
- Curry Leaves - few
- Curry Leaves – 3/4 cup
- Dry Red Chilies – 10
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Peppercorns – 1 tsp
- Channa Dal – 1 tbsp
- Grated Coconut – ¼ cup
- In a frying pan, dry roast chana dal, black peppercorns, cumin seeds and dry red chilies for few minutes. Remove it onto a plate.
- In the same pan, dry roast the curry leaves til the leaves turn crispy. Remove it to a plate.
- Dry roast the grated coconut till it turns golden brown.
- Grind the roasted spices, curry leaves and roasted coconut with some water to a smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a claypot. Pop mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds. Add asafoetida and curry leaves.
- Add shallots and garlic cloves. Saute for few minutes till the onions become pink and soft.
- Add the ground masala paste, extracted tamarind water, jaggery, water to adjust consistency and required salt.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the flame and simmer for 15 minutes. The gravy thickens and oil starts oozing out.
- This karuveppilai kuzhambu tastes excelled with hot rice, idli, dosa or chapathi.
More Curry Leaves Recipes