- recipe by Raji Ramakrishnan submitted on 03-10-2012
is a traditional fasting festival observed by tamil brahmins. The married women pray for the well being and long life of their husband. It is celebrated during the trasition of tamil months Maasi and Panguni.
A special dish made during this karadaiyan nombu is called the karadaiyan nombu adai. Here is the savoury version of the nombu adai. You can also find the recipe for the sweet nombu adai here.
Rice flour - 1 cup
Water - 1.5 cup
Green Chilli (chopped) - 1 (increase/decrease according to your choice)
Curry leaves - few
Salt - as per taste
Grated coconut - 1/2 cup
Boiled red chowli (karamani)
Asafoeitida - a pinch
Oil - 2 tsp
1. In a kadai pour water, add rice flour and mix well and ensure that no lumps formed.
2. Add the other ingreidents. Keep it on stove and cook in medium flame till you get a nice pliable dough.
3. Cool it, make small balls out of it with the help of oil and flatten it.
4. Make a hole in the middle, place it on the plantain leaf and steam for 15 minutes.
5. Serve hot or cold as u wish. You should be careful with water since some rice powder absorbs more than 1 1/2 cup.
Happy Karadain Nombu to all .