- recipe by raji ramakrishnan submitted on 02-14-2012
(Kathal ki Sabzi, Palakaai Varuval)
Raw jackfruit - 1 kg (should be peeled and cut into small pieces)
Chilli Powder - 1 tsp (increase/decrease according to your taste)
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Oil - 4 tsp
Turmeric powder - a pinch
Asafoeitida - a pinch
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Urid dal - 1 tsp
Salt - as per taste
Curry leaves - a few
Coriander leaves chopped - 1 tblsp
Onion sliced and fried in oil - 2 tblsp
1. Cut the jackfruit into small thin long pieces and wash.
2. Take a kadai, heat oil. Put mustard seed in it. When it splutters, put urid dal.
3. When the urid dal becomes brown, put curry leaves, asafoeitida, then add the washed jackfruit pieces, turmeric powder, coriander powder, chilli powder and salt.
4. Mix well, cover it and allow it to cook. Check in between and mix the ingredients.
5. When it is cooked fully, remove from the fire. Garnish with the fried onion and coriander leaves.
You can have it with chapatti if you like dried bhaji or with rice.