- Submitted by Dahlia on 21st Dec 2007
(Mashed Brinjal Recipe, Mashed Eggplant, Baingan Ka Bhartha)
Baingan ka bharta is a popular dish that is part of the North Indian cuisine. It is a mouth watering dish that is often served with roti and sometimes with rice.
The recipe for baingan ka bharta may be a little time consuming but it is worth the effort. In this the eggplant is grilled over fire and then mashed up. It is then sauteed with onions, spices and coriander leaves. The grilling of the eggplant adds a unique smoky favor to the dish. The leftover can be used as a sandwich spread.
Eggplant - 1
- Green peas - 1/2 cup(optional)
Onion - 1 (finely chopped)Tomato - 1 (finely chopped)
- Ginger-Garlic paste - 1 tsp
Green Chilly - 1 (chopped)
- Chilly powder - 1 tsp
- Coriander powder - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp
Cilantro - for garnish
- Oil - 2 tbsp
Salt - to taste
Rub the eggplant with oil. Roast it directly on the flame till the skin is charred.
- Another option is to set the oven in broil mode and broil the eggplant. Be sure to
turn the eggplant after each side is cooked. It takes app. 15-20 minutes for all the
sides of the eggplant to get cooked. Let it cool down.
Once it cools down, peel the skin and mash the eggplant.
- Heat oil in a pan, temper cumin seeds and curry leaves. Saute onions, green chilly and ginger-garlic paste.
Add chilly powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, garam masala and salt.
- Next add chopped tomatoes, mix everything and cook till everything forms a very nice paste. It may take 5-7 minutes.
Now add the mashed eggplant and green peas(optional). Mix everything together and let the flavors blend for 5 minutes.
- Check for salt and switch off.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with roti or rice.
More Brinjal (Eggplant) Recipes