- Submitted by Dahlia on 5th Oct 2008
(Bitter Melon Fry, Bitter Squash Fry, Bittergourd Fry, Karela Fry, Pavakkai Varuval, Kaypakkaya Fry)
Bitter gourd or bitter melon is a vegetable which is loved by some people while others hate it :-). Those who love it make it often. I fall under the second category and never wanted to eat it. My father in law is a diabetic and prefers to include this in his diet often. Bitter gourd is said to reduce the blood sugar. It is also good for many other diseases.
So if you are a bitter gourd lover or if you want to include it in your diet, you can try this recipe. Most of the bitterness is masked when the bitter gourd is fried well.
Recipe for Bitter gourd Fry
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Bitter gourd -2 (cut into circles)
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Chilly powder - 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder - a pinch
Corn Flour - 1 tsp (You can also use gram flour or rice flour instead)
- Oil - 1/2 tsp
Salt - as needed
Sprinkle salt generously on the bitter gourd pieces and keep it aside for about half an hour.
- After that squeeze the water that would have oozed out of the bitter gourd pieces. This step removes lot of the bitterness from the bitter gourd.
You can skip the above steps if you do not mind the bitterness. Coat the bitter gourd pieces with corn flour, chilly powder and turmeric powder. (Salt is not needed as the bitter gourd would have absorbed enough salt).
- Now you can stir fry or deep fry the pieces till they are nicely cooked and crispy.
Serving Bitter gourd Fry
- Serve the crispy bitter gourd fry with rice along with a curry or rasam.
Other Bitter gourd Recipes