- submitted by Dahlia on 03-21-2008
(Broccoli Fry, Ivyguard Fry, Tindoora Fry, Kovakai Fry, Asparagus Fry)
Green vegetables stir fried with crunchy lentils is a wonderful sidedish for rice or roti. Any green vegetables can be used for this recipe as long as it stays crunchy and crispy and doesnt become mushy. Some of the vegetables that I commonly use are broccoli, asparagus, ivyguard (tindoora, kovakai), green breans and snakeguard
Broccoli - 1 head/ Ivyguard - 1/2 lb / Asparagus - 1 bunch
Channa dal - 1 tblsp
Urad dal - 1 tblsp
Grated Coconut - 1 tblsp (optional)
Chilly powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
Asafoetida - a pinch
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
Oil - 2 tblsp
Curry leaves - 5-6
Sesame seeds - 1 tblsp (optional, for garnish)
Ivyguard (Kovakai/ Tindoora) Fry
1. Chop the required vegetable into desired size. ( If using broccoli, separate into small florets, if using ivyguard chop lengthwise, if using asparagus cut into 2" pieces.)
2. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan, splutter mustard seeds, cumin seeds and curry leaves.
3. In the same oil fry channa dal and urad dal with a low flame for 2 minutes until the
dals become crispy. Do not burn them.
4. Fry the grated coconut till it turns brown in colour.
5. Add the vegetable pieces, cover and cook for 2-5 minutes depending on the vegetable being used. (Ivyguard, beans and snakeguard takes about 5 min to cook)
6. Add salt, chilly powder, turmeric powder and asafoetida to it.
7. Toss everything together for another 2 minutes. Do not overcook the veggie. It has to remain crunchy.
8. Garnish with some tosted sesame seeds and serve with rice and any curry.