- submitted by Dahlia on 03-16-2009
Milk - 1 cup
Tea - 2 tsp
Water - 1.5 cup
Ginger - 2 " piece (crushed)
Cardamom - 2 pods (crushed)
Sugar/Honey - to taste
Lemon - 1/2 piece
1. In a saucepan, bring water to a boil along with crushed ginger and cardamon pods.
(You could also add ginger powder and cardamom powder)
2. Add the tea leaves and let it come to a rolling boil again.
3. Reduce the flame and let it simmer for 3-4 minutes for all the essence of the tea to be released in the water.
4. The basic ginger cardamom tea is ready. You could flavour it in different ways. I've given 2 options below.
Type - I (Ginger tea with milk - Chai)
5. Add the milk to the above tea water and bring it to a boil.
6. Strain the tea using a strainer, add enough sugar and enjoy it piping hot with biscuits.
Type II (Ginger Lemon tea with honey)
5. Strain the tea to a cup and squeeze in the lemon juice.
6. Add honey to taste and enjoy it after a heavy meal or as a refreshing drink. This type of tea could be served hot or cold.