Lima Beans Curry
Published 2007-Nov-24 Updated 2017-Nov-27
- Submitted by Dahlia
(Butter Beans Curry, Moccha Kottai Curry, Vaal Beans Curry)
Recipe For Lima Beans Curry
- Baby Lima beans (butter beans) - 1 cup
- Onion - 1(finely minced)
- Tomato - 2 (crushed or pureed)
- Ginger-garlic paste - 1 tsp
- Green chili - 1
- Turmeric - ¼ tsp
- Chilly powder - ½ tsp
- Coriander /dhania powder - 1 tsp
- Channa masala/ Chicken Masala - ¼ tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Ghee - ¼ tsp
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds - ¼ tsp
- Coriander leaves - for garnishing
- Soak lima beans for at least 5-6 hours or overnight. Baby lima beans tastes better than big ones.
- Wash the beans and cook them with water and salt until the beans become tender. If pressure cooker is used the beans should be done in 1-2 whistles. If left longer, the beans will become mushy.
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter cumin seeds. Next fry the chopped onions and green chilies until the onions become translucent.
- Next add the ginger-garlic paste and fry till the raw smell vanishes.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes till everything blends and forms a nice masala.
- Add turmeric powder, chilly powder, coriander powder, channa masala/ chicken masala powder and saute for a minute.
- Now add the cooked lima beans along with the water in which the beans was cooked.
- Let the gravy simmer for 5-10 minutes until everything blends together.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and add the ghee on top.
- To add a south Indian touch to the gravy, fry some grated coconut, grind it into a fine paste with some water and add along with tomatoes.