- submitted by Dahlia on 03-19-2008
(Fenugreek bottlegaurd dal, Vandaya Keerai Surakkai Kootu)
Fenugreek Leaves (Methi) - 1 bunch
Bottlegaurd (Lauki) - 1 cup (cubed)
Toor dal - 2 cups
Onion - 1 (chopped)
Tomato - 1 (chopped)
Garlic - 1 clove
Green Chilly - 1 (minced)
Tamarind paste - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt - to taste
Oil/Ghee - 1 tblsp
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves - 5-6
Dry red chillies - 2-3
1. In a pressure cooker, take toor dal, methi leaves, lauki(bottlegaurd) pieces, onion, tomato, garlic, green chilly, tamarind paste, salt and turmeric powder.
2. Add a glass of water and pressure cook for 2-3 whistles.
3. Once it is cooked, mash the dal using the back of the spoon.
4. Take another pan, heat some oil/ ghee and splutter the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, dry red chillies and curry leaves.
5. Add this to the cooked and mashed dal. Serve hot with rice or roti.
- This recipe yeilds a thick dal. If you want a gravy consistency add little more water.