- submitted by Dahlia on 04-12-2010
(Chicken in saffron flavoured sauce, Chicken Noorjahani)
Chicken - 2 lbs (1 kg) (boneless skinless)
Saffron Strands - a pinch
Onion - 1 (finely chopped)
Milk - 1 cup
Yogurt - 1 cup
White Pepper Powder - to taste
Salt - to taste
Whole Garam Masala - 1 stick cinnamon, 3 cardomom, 3 cloves, 1 star anise
Ghee/Butter - 2 tblsp
Almonds/Cashews - for garnishing
Ginger - 1 "piece
Garlic - 5 cloves
Green Chillies - 4
Fennel Seeds - 1 tsp
1. Make a paste of the ginger, garlic, green chillies and fennel seeds.
2. Marinate the chicken with the above paste, yogurt, pepper powder and salt.
3. Heat the butter/ ghee in a pan and add the whole garam masala to it.
4. Add chopped onions and fry till it turns golden brown.
5. Next add the marinated chicken and fry for a few minutes.
6. Cover and let the chicken cook in its own juices.
7. In the meantime, boil the milk in a seperate saucepan and add the saffron strands to it.
8. Add this saffron flavoured milk to the cooked chicken and let it boil.
9. Check for seasoning and add more salt and pepper powder if needed .
10. Reduce the flame and let the gravy simmer for 15-20 minutes.
11. Garnish with roasted almonds/cashews.
- Serve with chappatti, pulka, naan or pulav.
Serves : 4-5