- Submitted by Dahlia
(Goan Mushroom Chili Fry, Mushroom Pepper Fry, Kalan Varuval, Gucchi Fry, Mushroom Dry Dish)
Mushroom Fry is a no-fuss quick recipe that can be made with any kind of mushrooms. This stir fry is popular in Goa and is known as Mushroom Chili Fry. In South Indian, it is commonly known as Mushroom Pepper Fry.
It requires very few ingredients and can be made in a jiffy. The spiciness of the mushrooms come mainly from the combination of green chilies and black pepper powder, which makes this dish very tasty. You have to try it once to believe how easy it it to prepare this restaurant style mushroom fry at home.
I have made this fry with white button mushrooms since that is what I had with me. You can make with any type of mushrooms available. My favorite is the meaty baby portabella mushrooms.
This mushroom chili fry can be served as an appetizer or as a stuffing to make wraps, sandwiches etc. It also makes an excellent side dish for rice or roti. So here comes the recipe..
Recipe For Mushroom Fry
Preparation Time : 10 minutes
Cooking Time:10 minutes
Serves : 2-4 (depending on how you serve)
- Mushroom – ½ lb
- Onion – 1 ( cut lengthwise)
- Garlic - 3-4 cloves (finely chopped)
- Green Chilies - 2 or 3 (slit)
- Red chili powder - 1/4 tsp
- Black Pepper powder - 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Garam masala powder - 1/4 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Coriander Leaves (Cilantro) - for garnishing
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Curry Leaves - few
- Clean the mushroom by wiping with a damp kitchen towel. I prefer not to wash it with water as the mushroom has lot of moisture in itself. Any extra water used for washing makes it difficult to fry.
- Chop the mushrooms vertically into thin slices to retain the mushroom shape.
- Now heat oil in a kadai or deep sauce pan and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and curry leaves.
- When the mustard seeds pop, add the sliced onions, green chilies and chopped garlic. Sauté until the onions turn translucent.
- Next add the mushrooms and fry on medium flame for about 6 minutes or until all the moisture from the mushrooms dries up.
- Now add salt, red chilly powder, black pepper powder, turmeric powder and garam masala. Sometimes, I like to add 1/4 cup of sliced capsicum (bell peppers) at this stage to make the dish colorful but it is optional.
- Fry everything for another 2-4 minutes till the mushroom pieces are nicely browned.
- Switch off and take it in a serving dish. Garnish with coriander leaves and a piece of lemon. Mushroom chili fry or mushroom pepper fry is ready to serve.
Detailed Mushroom Fry Preparation Steps
Chop the ½ pound of mushroom vertically into thin slices. Slice one onion, mince couple of cloves of garlic and slit the green chilies. Keep them ready.
Heat 2 tsp of oil in a deep sauce pan or in a kadai. Add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds and curry leaves.
Once the seeds start popping, add the sliced onions, slit green chilies and garlic.
Sauté till the onions turn translucent. .
Now it’s time to add the sliced mushrooms. Fry the mushrooms in medium flame for about 6 minutes. The liquid that comes out of the mushrooms dries out and it reduces to half its original size.
Add salt per your taste, 1/2 tsp of red chilly powder, 1 tsp of black pepper powder, ¼ tsp of turmeric powder and ¼ tsp of garam masala. Increase or decrease the spices according to your taste.
Sauté everything for another 2 minutes and turn off the stove. The spicy mushroom pepper fry is ready. Before serving you can garnish the dish with coriander leaves.
- You can serve the mushroom fry with any variety rice or with white rice and some curry.
- It also goes well with any roti varieties.
- It can be served with pav buns, sandwich bread or stuffed in wraps or pita breads. This makes a great filling.
- I also like to use this to toss with pasta or lasagna or use it as a topping when making a burger meal.
More Mushroom Recipes