- Submitted by Dahlia
(Erra Biryani, Jhinga Pulav, Prawns Biriyani)
Jump to recipe ↓
Biryani is always among the top picks for all non-vegetarian lovers. Our family is one among them. I love making all kinds of biryanis with all types of meat and seafood. Shrimp Biryani or Prawns Biryani is one among that. Its a great choice for seafood lovers.
Prawns and Shrimp are related but are different. When it comes to cooking, they can be used interchangeably in all recipes. In Indian mostly prawns in found whereas in US, shrimp is available easily.
This shrimp biryani or prawns biryani is made almost in the same way as all other biryanis. Since this is a seafood, add less spices as compared to the biryanis made with meat. Also, I like to cook the biryani with coconut milk. It adds a nice flavour. Try this way of making shrimp biryani and you will enjoy it.
Video Instructions for making Shrimp Biryani
Recipe For Shrimp Biryani
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Serves: 4 - 6
- Shrimps (Prawns) - 1 lb
- Basmati rice - 2 cups
- Onion - 2 (chopped)
- Tomato - 2 (crushed/finely diced)
- Green Chillies - 3
- Ginger - 1" piece
- Garlic - 10 cloves
- Fennel Seeds - 1 tsp
- Lemon - 1
- Coriander leaves - handful
- Mint leaves - handful (optional)
- Red chilli powder - 3-4 tsp
- Coriander powder - 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Curd - 1/4 cup
- Coconut Milk - 1 cup
- Water - 2 cups
- Salt - to taste
- Whole Garam Masala - (3 Cloves, 1" piece Cinnamon stick, 2 Cardamom, 1 Bay leaf, 1 Star anise, Kalpasi - 1, Black Peppercorns - 1/2 tsp)
- Ghee - 2 tbsp
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Devein the shrimps (prawns) and rinse with water thoroughly.
- Add 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder, lemon juice (from half lemon) and salt to this.Toss everything together and keep it aside to marinate while you get other things done.
- Wash and soak the rice in 2 cups of water.
- Coarsely crush the ginger, garlic, green chillies and fennel seeds. Keep this aside.
- Heat ghee and oil in a deep pan or pressure cooker. Add black peppercorns, cinnamon, cardamom, bay leaf, star anise, kalpasi and cloves.
- Add chopped onions and fry till it becomes golden brown. Add some salt to speed up the process.
- Add the crushed ginger, garlic, green chillies and fennel seeds paste and fry for 2-3 min, until the raw smell disappears.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook till it becomes mushy.
- Add part of the chopped coriander leaves, saving a part for garnishing. Also add chopped mint leaves and fry for another minute.
- Add the marinated shrimp to this masala. Along with it add red chili powder and fry for 2 minutes. Overcooking the shrimp will make it rubbery.
- Add beaten yogurt and coriander powder. Saute together for couple of minutes.
- Add coconut milk and bring to a boil. Now add the soaked rice along with the water.
- Bring to boil. Add the juice of half a lemon. Check for salt and add if needed.
- Cover the cooker and cook on low flame for 15 minutes. (Note: If you plan to cook in an electric rice cooker, put all this ain the cooker. Pour the juice of a whole lemon on top, check for salt and cook. In rice cooker, cook until the light goes to warm mode.)
- Garnish with cilantro, fluff up the biryani with a fork and switch off. Keep it covered for another 5 minutes before you serve it.
Detailed Steps to make Shrimp Biryani
Heat ghee and oil in a pressure cooker, add cinnamon, cardamom, bay leaf, star anise, kalpasi, cloves and peppercorns. Add chopped onions and fry till it becomes golden brown.
Add the crushed ginger-garlic-green chillies-fennel seeds paste and fry for 2-3 min, until the raw smell disappears. Add the chopped tomatoes and cook till it becomes mushy.
Add chopped coriander leaves, chopped mint leaves and fry for a minute. Add the marinated shrimp, curd and red chili powder. Also add coriander powder. Mix everything together nicely.
Add the coconut milk and bring to boil.
Add the soaked rice with the exact measure of water and bring to a boil. Pour the juice of a whole lemon on top. Add salt as needed.
Close the cooker and cook on low flame for 15 minutes. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and carefully fluff it up with a fork.
Serving Shrimp Biryani
- Serve the warm shrimp biryani with some raita for side.
More Shrimp Recipes