- submitted by Dahlia on 10-25-2009
Sugar - 1.5 cups (For Butterscotch pudding use brown sugar instead)
Milk - 2 cups (240 ml)
Hot water - 1 cup
Cold water - 1/2 cup
Gelatin - 2 tblsp
Egg Yolks - 6
Whipped Cream - 2 cups
Vanilla Essence - 1 tsp
1. Soak the gelatin in half a cup of cold water for about 5 minutes.
2. Heat a pan on medium flame and add the sugar to it.
3. Heat till the sugar melts and caramelizes (turns light golden brown in colour).
4. Add the hot water to this and bring it to a boil.
5. Add the milk to this and heat the mixture. (caramel milk)
6. In the meantime, beat the egg yolks in a seperate bowl.
7. Add about half a cup of the caramel flavoured milk to this egg yolks and mix well.
8. Add this along with the vanilla essence to the remaining caramel milk mixture.
9. Continue to mix on medium heat till it thickens up like a custard.
10. Add the soaked gelatin to this and mix till the gelatin melts and blends with the custard mixture.
11. Cool this mixture well before proceeding.
12. Gently fold in the whipped cream with the custard.
13. Transfer the mixture to a serving dish and refrigerate till the pudding sets (about 5 hours).
14. Serve chilled with some whipped topping.
- Making the pudding with white cane sugar yields caramel pudding and brown sugar yeilds butterscotch pudding. Both taste different but equally delicious.
- Those who want to avoid using gelantin can use little cornstarch instead for setting the pudding.