- submitted by Dahlia on 08-23-2010
(Hariyali Murg, Cilantro Mint Chicken Curry, Herbal Chicken Curry)
Chicken - 2 lbs (1 kg)
Onion - 1 (chopped)
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
Corriander Powder - 2 tsp
Cumin Powder - 1 tsp
Pepper Powder - 1 tsp
Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp
Fennel seeds - 1/2 tsp
Yogurt - 1/4 cup
Heavy Cream - 1/4 cup (You could also use thick coconut milk instead)
Lemon Juice - 3-4 tblsp
Oil - 2 tblsp
Bay Leaf - 1
Salt - as needed
Cilantro - 1 bunch
Mint - 1/2 bunch
Green Chillies - 4-5
Shallots - 3
Ginger - 1.5 " piece
Garlic - 7-8 cloves
1. Marinate the chicken pieces with salt, pepper powder and lemon juice for atleast half an hour before preparing the curry.
2. Make a smooth paste of all the ingredients under 'to grind'. Try to avoid water while grinding or add as little as possible.
3. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan and add the bay leaf and fennel seeds.
4. Add the finely chopped onions and fry till it is golden brown.
5. Add the ground paste and let it cook until the oil seperates from the masala. This will take about 10 minutes.
6. Add the yogurt, turmeric powder, corriander powder, cumin powder and garam masala. Fry for about half a minute before adding the chicken.
7. After adding the chicken, saute it with the masala for atleast 3 minutes.
8. Add required water, salt and bring it to a boil. Cover the pan and cook till the chicken is no more raw and oil starts seperating from the gravy.
9. Add the heavy cream to the curry and mix well. Switch off and serve with naan, chappatti, pulav or white rice.
Serves : 4