- Submitted by Dahlia on 23rd Sep 2016
(Basic Vanilla Ice Cream, 5 minute ice cream, 2 ingredient ice cream, Ice cream without ice cream machine)
I love ice creams and so do my kids. During summers, we like to have popsicles, ice cream sandwiches, cone ice creams etc. almost every day. Myself and kids equally enjoy making our own frozen treats often. I have already shared different popsicle varieties.
Since I do not have an ice cream maker at home, I never used to try making ice creams until I came across this instant ice cream made with just 2 ingredients. Yes... that's right, just a couple of easily available ingredients is all you need. You need to mix it well and just freeze it. No ice cream machine required. After few hours of freezing, you can enjoy soft and creamy home made ice cream. You should try it our yourself to believe.
Below I have given the basic vanilla ice cream as well as a few possible variations that can be made. I am sure a ton of other flavors can be made by playing around with different ingredients. Be sure to make it and stay cool this summer.
Recipe for Instant Ice Cream
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: NIL
- Full Fat Cream (or Heavy Whipping Cream) - 2 cups (16 oz or around 500 ml)
- Sweetened Condensed Milk - 3/4 cup (around 8 oz or 230 gm) - Adjust the amount depending on how sweet you prefer.
- Before starting, place a big bowl, whipping blades,cream and the condensed milk can in the fridge. It really helps to speed up the whipping when all the ingredients are chilled, especially in hot places.
- Pour out the cream into the bowl. In India, you get it as whipping cream or full fat cream. Do not use the low fat cream.
- Beat it using a hand mixer or a stand mixer or the whipping mixie jar until stiff peaks are formed. It is very difficult to beat with a hand held whisk.
- Add the sweetened condensed milk to this. Continue beating again until it blends well. It will become smooth and creamy.
- Pour into freezer safe containers. Freeze overnight or for 6-8 hours. Enjoy soft ice cream with a drizzle of chocolate sauce or caramel sauce.
FLAVORED ICE CREAMS
The ice cream that we just made is the basic ice cream. You can make your own flavors and play around with this. Here are some ideas to experiment with.
- Vanilla Ice Cream: Add 1 tbsp of good quality vanilla extract while making the base ice cream.
- Strawberry Ice Cream: Make a strawberry puree using about 8 strawberries, 1/2 cup of water and 2 tbsp of sugar. Take 2 cups of the base ice cream and mix in 1/2 cup of strawberry puree before freezing.
- Mango Ice Cream: Use store bought mango puree or make one at home using 1 ripe mango. Mix 1/4 cup of mango puree with 2 cups of base ice cream. Also mix in 1/4 cup of chopped mango pieces.
- Oreo Ice Cream: Crush 7-8 Oreo cookies roughly and mix with 2 cups of base ice cream.
- Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream: Mix 1 tsp of peppermint extract and 1 cup of chocolate chips with 2 cups of base ice cream. If needed, add few drops of green food color.
Other than this you could also add other fruit pulps like apricot, jack-fruit, fig, kiwi etc. to make your favorite flavored ice cream.
More Homemade Ice Cream Recipes