- recipe by Raji Ramakrishnan submitted on 10-01-2012
Banana flower usli is famous and delicious. Banana flower sambar is also equally delicious. Maharashtrians make banana flower subzi which is liked by me very much. You too enjoy the sambar made out of banana flower.
Banana Flower (Vazhapoo) finely chopped - 2 cups
Tur dal - 1 cup
Tamarind pulp 1/2 cup
Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
Coconut grated - 1 cup
Coriander seeds - 3 tsp
Chana dal - 1 tsp
Red chilli - 2 nos
Fenugreek seeds - 1/4 tsp
Black pepper - 2 -3 nos
Green chilli - 1 no
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Oil - 1 tsp
Asafoetida a pinch
Chopped coriander leaves.
1. In a kadai, heat oil, add the coriander seeds, fenugreek seeds, black pepper, red chilli, chana dal and fry.
2. when it is done, add the grated coconut, green chilli, curry leaves and saute for 2-3 minutes. Cool it and grind to a smooth paste.
3. In the meantime, pressure cook the banana flower and tur dal separately by adding turmeric powder.
4. In a vessel, add the tamarind pulp, banana flower, salt and cook till the raw taste of tamarind goes.
5. Add the masala, tur dal and boil for two minutes
6. Finally, temper with the mustard seeds and asafoetida.
- I do not use tamarind for any item. you can skip this. Sambar without tamarind also tastes good.
- You can make sambar with the combination of red pumpkin, white pumpkin, drumstick and green capsicum. This combination I had made when my relatives had come with the above masalas and they loved it. They did not even come to know that i have not used tamarind in it.
Other Recipes with Banana Flower