- recipe by Dahlia submitted on 18th Jan 2014
(Banana Flower Fritters)
Vazhaipoo Vadai is a tasty snack made with banana flower.
Banana Flower - 1
Bengal Gram (Kadalai paruppu, channa dal) - 1 cup
Onion - 1 (finely chopped)
Dry Red Chilli - 2 (or use 1 tsp of red chilly powder)
Garlic - 4 cloves
Ginger - a small piece
Curry Leaves - 2 sprigs (finely chopped)
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Fennel Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/ tsp
Asafoetida - 1/4 tsp
Salt - to taste
Click to see detailed steps on How to clean Banana Flower?
1. Clean the banana flower as per the instructions given in the link. Finely chop it and keep it ready.
2. Soak the bengal gram from an hour. Drain the liquid completely.
3. Grind it to a coarse paste along with ginger, garlic, red chillies, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, turmeric powder, asafoetida and salt.
4. After it is well mixed and coarsely ground, add the chopped banana flowers, onions and curry leaves. Pulse it a couple of times in the blender to that it mixes well. You can also mix it with hand.
5. The above vada mixture should not have excessive moisture. So be careful to drain the water completely from the dal before grinding.
6. Heat oil in a frying pan or kadai. Make small patties out of the vada mixture.
7. Deep fry or shallow fry till golden brown. Place them on a paper towel to remove excess oil. Enjoy the vazhaipoo vadais while they are hot and crispy.
- You can serve these vazhaipoo vadas warm with a cup of tea as an evening snack.
- You can also serve it as a side dish for rice, variety rice etc.
Other Recipes with Banana Flower