- submitted by Raji Ramakrishnan on 17th June 2013
(Vaazha Thandu Sambhar)
Banana stalk (finely chopped) - 2 cups
Tamarind - 1 small ;emon sized ball
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Tuvar dal boiled - 1 cup
For sambhar masala
2 tsp Coriander seeds
2 Red chilli
2-3 Pepper corns
1/2 Grated coconuts (i use dessicated coconut)
1/4 tsp Fenugreek seeds
1/4 tsp Cumin seeds
1 Green Chilli
1. Cut the stalks very finely (see detailed banana stem cutting steps here
) and cook in pressure cooker for two whistles with salt and turmeric powder.
2. Remove from the cooker and transfer the same to another vessel.
3. Add tamarind pulp and boil.
4. When the raw smell of tamarind is gone, add the ground masala, tuvar dal and boil.
5. Temper with mustard seeds, curry leaves and serve hot with rice or chappati.