(Lentil Balls Curry, Dal Kofta Curry, Parippu Urunda Curry)
- recipe by Raji Ramakrishnan submitted on 05-01-2012
For the balls
Tur Dal - 1 cup
Red Chilly - 4-5
Green Chilly - 2
Asafoeitida - 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves - few
Rice powder - 1 tsp
For the gravy
Tur Dal (boiled and smashed) - 1 cup
Sambar powder - 1-2 tsp
Tamarind Pulp - one gooseberry /lemon size (increase according to your choice)
Salt - to taste
To make balls
1. Wash and soak the tur dal, dry chilly, green chilli.
2. When it is soaked, remove from the water and mix asafetida, curry leaves, salt and grind to a smooth paste.
3. The consistency should be thick to form ball shapes. Can be like dal vada consistency.
4. Make small balls out of it and keep. Add a teaspoonful of rice powder in the mix so that when it is boiled, becomes hard.
To make gravy
1. In a vessel, add all the tamarind pulp, salt, sambar powder and water and bring to boil.
2. The water contents should be sufficient to immerse the dal balls.
3. When the gravy starts boiling, add the balls one by one. It will float on top of the gravy.
4. Cook the same till it is cooked from inside and becomes hard balls. Afterwards add the boiled dal and mix.
: 1 tsp oil, mustard seed, curry leaves. Garnish with coriander leaves.
It tastes good with rice, chapatti, curd rice etc.
Lentil balls cooking in the gravy