- recipe by Raji Ramakrishnan submitted on 18th Oct 2013
(Vaazhaithandi Poriyal, Banana Stem Stirfry)
Banana stem (vazhathandu - finely chopped) - 1 cup
Salt - to taste
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Grated coconut - 2 tblsp
Oil - 1 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Urid dal - 1 tsp
Curry leaves - 1 sprig
Dry Red chilli (broken) - 1
A pinch of Asafoetida (Hing) - a pinch
1. Cut and clean the vazhaithandu (banana stem). See detailed banana stem cutting steps here
2. Cook the vazhathandu in pressure cooker with little water, salt and turmeric. You can also cook it in a open pot till it becomes soft.
3. In a kadai, heat oil for tempering. Add the mustard seeds, urid dal, broken red chilli, curry leaves and asafoetida (hing) powder.
4. Add the vazhathandu and stir well.
5. Coarsely grind the grated coconut and cumin seeds and add to the above mixture.
6. Saute well and serve as a side dish for plain rice and sambar.
- You can add one green chilli along with the coconut.